Friday, August 15, 2014

This week

Reading: Interesting article with some tips on improving sleep: How to Manufacture the Best Night of Sleep in Your Life. I'm not sure I buy all of it, but it suggests several changes I think would help me!
Also reading The Life of Pi. I'm halfway through and loving it. 

Eating:  New recipe for fastest dinner ever:
1 can black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
1/2 packet of taco seasoning

Combine ingredients in pot, bring to a simmer, serve over brown rice or tortillas or corn chips or pasta. Top with shredded cheese if you're feeling crazy. About 2 minutes of work, and maybe 5 minutes of cooking time! Healthy and delicious. You can jazz it up with whatever you feel like adding - different beans, onions, chili peppers, cilantro, avocado. I made this for dinner one night last week when I realized bath time was in about 15 minutes and I hadn't given any thought to cooking! Everyone loved the result - even H, who historically has been an extremely light dinner eater (sometimes he doesn't eat a bite; rarely will he finish one helping of anything) ate a whole bowl and then asked for another one! He said, "I love chili!" and I figured it was close enough. :)

Working out: I haven't worked out in 2 weeks. :( I was on a nice little roll of running and swimming each at least once a week, with a third workout most of the time, and I felt really good. Slow, but good. Last week I worked two very long days, getting home after 10 PM, so those days were obviously out. I was too tired the next mornings to give up half an hour of sleep to get up and exercise (plus it would require M to also get up early with the kids), then I worked Saturday and M worked Sunday, so there wasn't a good opportunity. Usually I squeeze in a workout before daycare pickup on my early day, and between drop off and work on my late day, and then one on the weekend, but last week they were all long days.
However, due to the brilliance of the breastfeeding diet (eat all the food, lactate, watch fat evaporate!) I'm still at my absolute minimum weight since adolescence, which is very nice. My clothes all look wonderful. :)

Chores: Spent half an hour on the phone this morning, getting M and H added to my (and E's) insurance plan. Spent almost $1000 at the dentist yesterday getting 3 cavities filled. :( I hadn't been to the dentist in over 2 years - that is so dentally negligent, I can barely admit to it. It's a pain in the ass to arrange childcare on days that I don't work, and I can't go to the dentist when I'm pregnant because I have such a ridiculously sensitive gag reflex that I can barely even brush my own teeth, let alone submit to an oral exam. And it just got away from me. I finally noticed that the edge of a previous filling was loose, and that got me in gear. That loose filling had to be replaced (involving 2 teeth) and then I had one new cavity (and a bunch of incipients that he's just keeping an eye on for now).

Fun: I had a couple of really great days with the kids this week. H has been in a really good mood, and we've had so much fun playing together. Last night was particularly awesome. When I got home from the dentist, we got a couple of soft rubber balls and a wiffle ball bat, and went outside in the beautiful fall-like evening, and played some crazy variation of 3-man baseball while E watched from her stroller and nommed her feet. It was so much fun, and so funny, we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment