Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Long days

I've gotten so used to working part-time that when I have a full day, it feels like it lasts forever. Yesterday I worked from 8A - 10P, so I was gone from 7:15A - 10:45P, which legitimately IS a long day, but I used to do that regularly and I don't remember it feeling so . . . . . . . exhausting. I know part of it is that E is STILL not sleeping through the night (why, oh why?!?!?) and usually wakes us up twice (once she can be comforted with a papi, or a sip of water, or a brief cuddle; the other time she insists on nursing), and is usually up for the day by about 6:30. So on nights when I'm off, and have the discipline to go to bed early, I can get a full night's sleep (interrupted, but still a reasonable number of hours), but on nights that I don't even get home from work until almost 11 PM, it's just not going to happen.

Good things yesterday: Cafe Americano from Starbucks on my way to work. LOVE that drink. Why does their coffee taste so much better than mine?!? I have an espresso machine, and I use their beans! I get that I'm not a professional barista using professional-grade equipment, but really, should the difference be THAT significant? A SB espresso is a completely different creation than one of mine. On bad work days, I fantasize about going to work at Starbucks, at least temporarily, so I could learn how to make coffee like they do. :)

Beautiful, beautiful weather!!! It seems like fall has come early this year! Which is a great relief, since our electricity bill was almost $300 last month! Yikes. 3rd floor apartment woes. I'm sure it'll go back up to the 90s at some point, but I'm really enjoying it right now.

H and E both woke up before I left for work, so I got to give them both some hugs and kisses, and squeeze E's fat little legs. :) H blew me a kiss as I left, and E waved goodbye. I love them so much!

I felt like all the patients I saw yesterday were reasonably manageable, which was nice.

I got to wear real clothes to work! We used to have a scrubs dress-code, but recently we were given the option of business casual dress as well. I loved wearing scrubs (what could be easier or more comfortable? It's like going to work in your pajamas! And requires zero thought or planning!), but now that I've been wearing them every work day for 2 years, it's nice to dress up in pretty clothes sometimes.



Suboptimal things yesterday: I only got to see the kids for 5 minutes in the morning before I left for work.

I dropped my beautiful Medela Freestyle pump on the floor while I was pumping at work! And since then it's been noisier than usual, and I think the suction is a little weaker. :( I had it clipped onto my waist band, and I crouched down to pick up something I'd dropped, and when I stood up it fell off and crashed onto the floor. Well, at least it still works.

I had a couple of bummer cases, including a sad euthanasia of a young, otherwise totally healthy pet because of a life-threatening (but very treatable) condition that the owners just truly couldn't afford to treat. That hasn't happened in awhile, and it's really heart-breaking when it does. I always think about those patients when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, wondering what if I had done this, or that, or the other thing, could I have helped them?


Things I'm looking forward to this week: Pumpkin iced coffee! I had a small cup this morning, and it was soooooo good! If the weather's going to be fall-like, I may as well celebrate!

Finishing my reading about proteinuria. After reading several consensus statements about diagnostic and management considerations, I feel like I have a better handle on it than I ever did before, and I love that feeling!

Working on my 10-day meditation run. I downloaded the Headspace app last week, and I'm on day 6 today. I usually do the meditation when I go to bed, and sometimes I doze off (the intro series are each only 10 minutes long, so I must be tired if I can't even stay awake for 10 minutes!)

Maybe finishing The Life of Pi!



No comments:

Post a Comment