Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday morning

This is going to be a long week. I'm working extra shifts because my boss is going on vacation and needed coverage; and when I'm scheduled to work 12 hours, between catching up on charts and phone calls when I finish seeing patients, and then my 45 minute commute, I'm gone for a solid 14-15 hours. That means MM gets to do both the morning routine and the evening routine by himself, and I don't see the kids at all. :(

Luckily I do have 2 weekdays off, so I'll get lots of kid-time then, but I really miss them on days when I'm at work from before they wake up until after they go to bed.

And we had an awesome weekend. After all the berry-picking and playground and picnicking fun yesterday, today we just hung out at home. H and I did go to the Y for his swim class, and he did SO WELL! It's a very basic class, most of the kids are 2-3 years old, and we just work on supported floating, kicking, blowing bubbles, and jumping off the side. I think it's more of a "becoming comfortable in the water" kind of class than a "learn to actually swim" class. Today he really followed directions well and performed all the skills the teacher asked for - I was very proud of him. Other than that and a few short dog walks, we were home all day. It was relaxing, we finished the laundry, I cooked dinner (broiled salmon over asparagus with a tomato/avocado/corn salsa), E got to do all the crawling she wanted, and H got to play with his beloved trucks.

Tonight I'm going to go to bed early - I stayed up reading too late last night and then E woke up at 4 AM to eat, and then I had a hard time falling asleep again (allergies and random irrational worries about myriad dangers that could befall the kids), so even though I got to sleep in, I was still tired today. Tomorrow I think I'll treat myself to Starbucks on my way to work. :) I cold brew coffee concentrate for iced coffee, and I have a pitcher of half-caf in the fridge right now, so I can enjoy one iced coffee while I'm getting ready for work, AND then have another one for the rest of the morning.

Favorite thing this weekend: Playing with Harrison all day yesterday

Least favorite thing: M and I were in weird moods with each other all day today, and kept annoying each other. It sucked because we so rarely have two consecutive days off together and we should have enjoyed it!

Reading: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Eating: Broiled salmon with tomato/avocado/corn salsa and asparagus, Chocolate Therapy Ben & Jerry's

Working out: Nope. I ran (with E in the stroller) on Friday, and since then my right hip has been bothering me. I probably could have gone swimming, but that's considerably less convenient than running, especially on the weekend.

Looking forward to this week: Having 2 days off with the kids, celebrating my nephew B's birthday at family dinner

NOT looking forward to this week: Pumping at work is very inconvenient and often gets pushed back enough that I'm really uncomfortable by the time I finally get to do it, which will be more of a problem working long days. M just showed me a letter from his and H's health insurance company saying they have to pick a new policy by the end of August, and this happy task will fall to me because I have some weekdays off and can spend hours (and hours, and hours) on hold on the phone with insurance companies. Yay. There will be 2 or 3 days this week when I won't see the kids at all.

Goals for this week: Swim once, run twice, get M and H enrolled in a new insurance plan


No comments:

Post a Comment